Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Social Network


I found the movie The Social Network very interesting. I had no idea that there was such a crazy story behind the making of the popular Facebook site.

I think that the film did paint Mark Zuckerberg in a negative light. The opening of the film, with his girlfriend calling him an asshole and him proceeding to start up a site to rate the girls at the college, set it up that he was not going to be a particularly likeable character. The actor portraying him didn't seem to be a very emotional person. He came across as driven and very smart, but also kind of pompous and immature. When he spoke with lawyers he was very condescending. He was good at the witty come backs, but came across as whining kid, as opposed to just being honest about what the facts were. It didn’t seem like terribly good PR for himself. I don’t know if Mark Zuckerberg is like this in real life. I wonder if actually gives off an air of cynical arrogance, like the character in the movie. When I googled pictures of the real Mark Zuckerberg, he's always smiling and looks kind of dorky and innocent. I don't think I saw his character smile once in the movie. So, I'm left wondering if this really was an accurate portrayal.

Zuckerberg’s lack of loyalty for his friend and co-founder made him appear to lack integrity. He seemed to be just out for himself and only concerned with power and money. He ignored his friend’s concerns about taking the advice of the smooth talking Napster guy, made big decisions without consulting his friend and in the end pretty much cut him completely out of the company. If these things are true then I suppose the film didn’t have to try very hard to paint Zuckerberg negatively. He already did a fine job of painting himself negatively by making so many bad decisions. But the film certainly didn’t show his character feeling much remorse for his actions. The film did, however, make him out to be very intelligent and quick witted. So, perhaps people will be more forgiving of his antics because they are impressed by his ability to be so business savvy.

I don’t think the film will have much impact on the popularity of the site. I know for me personally I was more than a little disgusted with the way that Mark Zuckerberg’s character acted. I was impressed that he was so sharp, but that paled in comparison to the choices he made in building the company. I left feeling like I didn’t have much respect for Facebook and it's creators. It's no longer a company I want to endorse. But I don't think most people put much thought into who invents the social networks they use, they just become part of our daily lives. No one knew Mark Zuckerberg’s name before the movie and I have a feeling that the negative feelings about him will do very little to effect the popularity of the site. I don't like Mark Zuckerberg now, but I didn't know who he was two days ago. 

After reading the Mark Zuckerberg’s “PR” response I really don’t feel know how to feel. He takes a very light hearted response to the way his character is portrayed. It makes me unsure if this is just a strategy to avoid dealing with the issue. I think it’s better then getting really upset. But I’m not sure I know how he really feels about the movie. He doesn’t outright say that it isn’t an accurate depiction of him or the events that took place. He says it’s a movie and that it’s fiction. What about it is fiction? He isn’t being very clear. The donations did seem like bad timing. He just kind of comes off as a schmuck,  but not necessarily a huge asshole. His response to the movie doesn't really do anything to change my feelings on his lack of integrity and maturity. I think he should have just said honestly where he felt the movie exaggerated things for dramatic purposes and owned up to the ways in which it didn’t. I think that if he just admitted to not doing things perfectly and highlighted that idea of “to make you make a 500 million friends you have to make a few enemies”, I would have more respect for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment